Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cold Weather Run

It was 18 degrees out this morning. And I decided it was a good day for an outdoor run.

I've never run in the cold before and I wasn't sure how it would work. Or what to wear. Or how I'd feel. But I'm happy to report that it all went fine!

Here's what I wore (essentially ALL of my warm workout clothes):
  • Sleeveless workout top
  • Long sleeve compression shirt
  • Long sleeve thin layer shirt
  • Long sleeve medium layer shirt
  • Windbreaker zip-up
  • Long running tights
  • Capri running tights
  • Fleece head/ear band
  • Stocking cap
  • Gloves
  • Two pair of socks
  • Running shoes
Then I zipped my phone into a pocket, strapped my water bottle to my hand, walked around inside the house for a while to get good and warm and headed out.

Before I hit one mile, I was peeling off the windbreaker. It hadn't occurred to me until that moment that there was a fine line between warm enough and too sweaty. Not warm enough and peeling off a layer would make me too cold. Too sweaty and peeling off a layer would give me the same result.

Except for a couple of icy patches, it all went well. I was glad I remembered the lip balm before I left home.

But I forgot Kleenex again. Gotta work on that farmer blow.

4 comments:

GaryAllanFan said...

It was beautiful outside this morning! Amber & I ran outside this morning too. 6.5 miles! Our furthest ever! I wore.....a long sleeved wicking shirt & a WI pullover, A pair of Active Cuddle Duds under my normal running pants, a bondi-band ear/headband, a neck gaiter, 2pair of socks and gloves(wicking gloves that I got at ASR). I only had to take off my neck gaiter....otherwise I was good. The trails were a little slick in spots.....and I took a couple of good glides, but no spills. It's hard to know what to wear. Did your water freeze? We didn't take any..and wish we would have. Next on my list to get is YakTrax.

Miss Daisy said...

Holy Moses, GAF! 6.5 ROCKS!!!! Did you go with the ASR people on the 8 mile? I'm so impressed with you two!!!!!! It was kind of nice to be out there in the "fresh" air! My water didn't freeze, but it sure stayed cold. My sweaty hair froze, though. I think it's a thousand times better to run in the cold than in the hot and humid! 6.5 is AMAZING!!!! Woooo Hooo!

GaryAllanFan said...

Thanks! No, we didn't run with the ASR group. We do our own thing. I agree......running in the cold is MUCH better than running in the humid weather.

Anonymous said...

I wore a pair if compression capris, shorts, and pants. A tank, running jacket, t shirt and sweatshirt. Had to remove the t shirt. Totally forgot the chapstick and MAN did I want some water. -amber