Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Running Shoes

Santa's elves were kind enough to bring me a couple of gift certificates to All Season Runner in Janesville. So today I went to pick out a new pair of shoes.

And, as usual, I learned a lot.

Shoe Facts
  • Good shoes are important if you're pounding pavement or the treadmill belt. Be kind to your knees! There is a difference between the shoes you buy at a big box discount store and those that are sold at specialty stores.
  • And, yes, there's a cost difference. The pair I bought was just over $100 and I'm guessing that's sort of "low-end" for good shoes. Look at it this way ... you spend $30+ for a bra at Victoria's Secret and it doesn't take the abuse, nor have to work nearly as hard as your shoes do! (Well, mine doesn't, anyway.)
  • Even a good shoe only gives you all its got for a while. It's recommended that you replace shoes after 350-500 miles, depending on usage. I've also heard "replace every six months." They wear out.
  • Not a runner? Walker, cross trainer? I still recommend going to a specialty shoe store and talking with someone who knows about the shoes and about many different types of training. Experts can teach you a lot.   
  • Take your old shoes in with you so a professional can see how they wear. Your form shows on the soles of your shoes. If you're striking inside or outside or back or front ... there may be certain styles/brands that are better for you and a professional can help identify which.
  • If you run/walk every day, it's good to have two pairs of shoes. It takes 24 hours for the sole to fully "recover" and get back to full cushion. So with two pairs, you can alternate days, allowing for maximum recovery time. (Wish I had two pair of knees for the same reason!)
  • Match your shoes to your situation. Do you run outside in winter? Maybe you want to find a pair with less mesh, so your toes stay warmer.
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I walked out with the exact same pair of shoes I bought last time. They treated me well. They wore well. They were neon green. What could be better?

No comments: