Friday, December 2, 2011

Ozarks vs. Ocean

Today was an odd workout day.

Jim and I left last night to get a few hours of driving under our belt for the 8-hour trip to southern Missouri to visit my in-laws. We stopped after 10 p.m. to catch a few winks at my favorite ... The Hampton Inn. The plan was to wake up early, hit the hotel fitness center, get my workout in and get back on the road.

But I didn't make it to the fitness center. Too tired.

So, about 2 miles from my in-laws' house, I asked Jim to drop me off, so I could run the rest of the way. He, of course, rolled his eyes and obliged me.

As I cruised past the house to sneak in another mile or so, I was comparing my surroundings from this mini vacation with that of my last vacation.

While the ocean is very nice, this picturesque, winding gravel road in the Ozarks was very nice, too. I wasn't passed by a single car. The road was hilly, giving me a little extra challenge. The cattles in the pastures on both sides of the road couldn't have cared less that I was there. And I even kicked up three white-tail deer in the process.

Not crashing waves and salty air and gorgeous sunshine. But still very nice.

I'm looking forward to hitting it again tomorrow.

No comments: