Sunday, December 11, 2011

On a Holiday Roll

We're hot and heavy into the holiday season and the get-togethers are coming fast and furious. My plan is always to take some munchies I love and know aren't horrible for me. I wish I had a dollar for every time in my life I've made these.

Tortilla Roll-Ups
2 8 oz. packages low-fat or fat-free cream cheese at room temp (or nuke them until there's no lumps when  you stir)
2 big tablespoons full of fat-free sour cream
1/2 to 1 package dry Ranch dressing mix
1/2 big green pepper, finely chopped
1/2 big red pepper, finely chopped
1/2 big yellow or orange pepper, finely chopped
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 cup reduced-fat shredded orange cheese (Cheddar or whatever you can find)

Mix the cream cheese, sour cream and dressing mix together. Add in the chopped veg and cheese. Spread an even layer on a tortilla. Roll up the tortilla. Then wrap the rolled up tortilla in a piece of wax paper, twisting the ends tight, like a Tootsie Roll. Repeat until all the cream cheese mixture is gone. (Sometimes I use the whole package of eight tortillas, sometimes I need an extra and sometimes I only use seven ... depends on how much veg, etc. As you can see, my measurements aren't exact.)

Let the wax-paper wrapped tortillas sort of  set up in the fridge for at least an hour or so. They're easier to cut that way. Once the cream cheese is sort of hard again, unwrap each roll and cut into 1" pieces. Feel free to substitute any veg you like. And you could put in ham or turkey. But you don't really need it.

1 comment:

HR GIRL said...

I make mine with green chiles (mild) and sometimes chopped black olives and pimentos for color. Always a hit!