Friday, September 28, 2012

Absolutely Apples!

I love fall. The temps get cooler. The colors get brighter.

And the apples roll in!

My perennial favorite? Gala. Sweet and crisp. Of course you also have to give a nod to the very popular Honeycrisp.

However, my new favorites are Pink Lady, Jazz (a cross between Gala and Braeburn) and Pinata. All crunchy, crisp, sweet and a little tart. Sometimes the Pink Lady has a tropical vibe ... occasionally vaguely banana.

I hate bananas. But I still love the apple.

I like dipping them in reduced fat peanut butter or Nutella. I like them as simple snacks. I like packing them when I have to travel because they can survive a plane ride.

I like the fact that they take a while to eat ... so the 90-140 calories I'm ingesting takes a while to consume and my teeth/jaw get a lot of chewing in. It's a good eating value if that makes sense.

Of course, I love them dipped in caramel and rolled in nuts, too, but I try to avoid that if possible.

(Werther's makes sugar-free hard candies that satisfy that craving if I simply have to have it.)

No comments: