Monday, September 24, 2012

Walking to Dinner

There's something nice about being stranded in an unfamiliar place with no rental car and no readily available cabs.

You have to walk everywhere.

I spent the last few days at a Holiday Inn near a small convention center in an out-of-the-way suburb of Atlanta. As in, a $96 cab ride from the airport. I debated getting a rental car, but decided against it for purely financial reasons. And now I'm glad I did.

No car meant we walked to work every morning, somewhere between a quarter mile and third of a mile, if I had to guess. With a steep hill. Two of the four days, I made an extra trip back to the hotel during a break in the exhibit hall hours so I could hit the treadmill. Bingo! Bonus mile in without really trying!

That also means we had to walk to dinner every night. Again, the closest restaurant was another quarter-mile away. Bingo! Bonus half-mile!

Somehow, ordering -- and eating -- a dessert doesn't feel so indulgent when you know you have to hoof it back to the hotel.

3 comments:

HR GIRL said...

I thought of you the other day when I read this ( and I cannot figure out where to give proper credit )!

If there's one thing I believe about weight loss, it's this: Weight loss is never just about weight loss. It's about breakthrough and transformation. It's about meeting challenges. It's about telling the truth. It's about scrupulous honesty. It's about looking in the mirror. It's about finding strengths you never knew you had. It's about persevering. It's about never giving up. It's about a vision for the long haul.

Your weight loss journey is about a lot more than reducing the number on your scale. It's a chance to practice playing bigger and bolder, a chance to step up to the plate, a chance to give up being a victim and a chance to practice being the author of your own life.

It's a place to practice how you deal with challenge, frustration, opportunity and self-definition. Weight loss is just a place to practice the game of mastery. Mastery of your body, your health and your life.

Miss Daisy said...

I LOVE this. And wish I had written it. I think it's completely true. Do you?

HR GIRL said...

My favorite line is - it's a chance to practice playing bigger and bolder. I also think I need to realize and fully comprehend the line - It's about a vision for the long haul.

Good stuff.