Friday, September 14, 2012

Navigating "Vacation" Eating

OK, I'm not really on vacation. I'm working. But as luck would have it, this conference is at the beach. Navigating eating, when you don't control everything and are sort of captive of the situation, can be tricky.

Here's what I do:

Snacks in the airport, on the plane? They're hideously expensive and the options aren't so great. So I pack my own. This week's stash includes almonds, dark chocolate M&Ms, frosted mini wheats, Cherrios, gum and sugar-free hard candy.

The hotel we're staying at has free breakfast. I'm actually going to check it out tomorrow. But since I didn't know what it would be like, I set myself up just in case. I packed apples and 90-calorie Fiber One bars which works just fine.

The conference provides a box lunch. Today's version was turkey, cheese and lettuce on a croissant, bag of chips, apple, and pre-packaged brownie. I ate the sandwich with as little of the croissant as possible. And the chips and the apple.

I also snacked on some M&Ms.

Dinner is the highlight of the day. And today's pre-dinner mojito was spectacular. When in Rome, eat seafood, right? So that's what we did. The blackened grouper was delish. The homemade potato chips, coleslaw and hush puppies were pretty good, too. I didn't eat all of them, but it was certainly close enough. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the fried oyster appetizer, shared.

Read between the lines here ... my whole dinner was essentially fried.

But that's OK. I ran this morning. I'm going to run again tomorrow. I do it so I can eat a "local" dinner and not get too worried about it.

No comments: