Monday, October 1, 2012

Butternut Weird, But Good

I roasted a butternut squash yesterday with plans of turning it into soup.

But then I didn't want to drag out my food processor and I don't own an immersion blender.

So I got creative instead.

Butternut Yum
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Cumin
Sliced onion
Feta cheese
Optional: candied walnuts or butter toffee almonds?

Toss squash in olive oil, salt, pepper and cumin. Roast in oven on cookie sheet at 375 degrees until fork tender, a little brown on the bottom. You'll smell it when it's ready. I did this on Sunday afternoon, then finished it on Monday night.

Heat a saute pan with some olive oil. Toss in the sliced onions. Add a little salt and pepper. Let the onions get soft and translucent. Throw in the squash and let it heat through. Just before you are ready to serve, put a little feta in.

I didn't actually have candied walnuts, but I think the sweetness and crunch would be the perfect sprinkle on top of this yumminess.

No comments: