Monday, October 15, 2012

Hip Finale

Quick, knock on something wooden.

OK, with that preventative action complete, I'm going to let you know that I have closed what will forever be known as the "The Hip That Ate My Summer" chapter.

At six weeks out from the cortisone shot, I had my final follow-up appointment last Friday. Though it took a couple of weeks for the pain to stop being noticeable, I have been pain-free for the better part of three or four weeks.

I have also been careful about my workout schedule. I'm running a maximum of three days in a row. And when I do run three days in a row, they are not three hard days ... two longer distances and one short.

As such, my sports med doc gave me my final "clearance" with a stern reminder.

"Running itself will NOT make the muscles you need to run strong. You have to continue to do the therapy to make those hip muscles strong."

So I'm doing my clamshells and leg lifts three times a week, too. And trying to remember to shuffle around the house with that big rubberband on my ankles. Prevention is the name of the game, here.

God bless cortisone!

No comments: