Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Flirting with a Challenge

View of Grand Canyon National Park at sunset from the South Rim

I met an interesting woman in Mesa this weekend. She was but a little, bitty thing, but she had a great adventure to tell.

You see, she hikes the Grand Canyon, rim to rim. She's done it five times.

That's 24 miles. It takes 12 hours. And the park rangers strongly discourage it because so many who attempt it have to be rescued every year.

I think it's fascinating.

And part of me wants to do it.

It appears to be quite dangerous, as there are many things to worry about. Elevation, enormous temperature swings, rattlesnakes, injuries and no easy access for rescuers. It requires very careful planning of water and nutrition intake, it starts in the dark and it demands rigorous training.

Did I mention I find it fascinating?

My new friend (or at least I hope that's what I can call her) makes the trek with an experienced group of veterans hikers. She says it requires an abundance of both physical and mental stamina. She also says it's one of the most magnificently extrordinary experiences of her life. She used the word "spiritual" and made sure I knew she wasn't some kooky, tree hugging, hippy chick that throws that term around in a silly way. "You realize you are just a speck, just a speck, in this world and no problem you have is so big or bad or awful."

It's crazy, right? As my hope of running one marathon gets farther away, this somehow seems possible. I'm hoping the feeling passes.

Read more:
http://www.mensfitness.com/leisure/travel/fit-travel-hiking-the-grand-canyon-rim-to-rim
http://www.dayhiker.com/directory/GrandCanyonrimtorimDayHike.htm

2 comments:

Amber said...

That sounds really cool!

Miss Daisy said...

We can train, Amber, as soon as you're out of your boot!