Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mmmmm ... Pancakes!

Cravings.

Cravings suck. And I'm in the middle of one of the biggest and most unusual craving spurts.

All I want is sugary, warm carbs. I want pancakes. And French toast. And gooey, frosted cinnamon rolls. Apple fritters? Sure! Or fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookies ... sigh.

Of course, a big bowl of cereal would work. Pretzels with strawberry cream cheese. Toast with peanut butter and jelly. Or Nutella. Or all three.

(I actually melted Nutella and peanut butter together last week and dripped it on popcorn, for goodness sake.)

Here's the thing. I don't like pancakes. Or doughnuts. I mean, I'll eat them if they're in front of me, but I never go out of my way to get them, rarely order them in a restaurant or dream about them.

But now I'm doing all three. Well, I'm trying NOT to do those things, but I'm failing.

Now, it would be great to crave broccoli. And, in fact, I have in the past. It usually follows a bout of "bad" eating or vacation eating when my body just knows that it needs fresh, clean food.

Logically, then, you'd think that the opposite could be true--that I must be eating soooooo clean that my body wants the crap! That's a nice thought, though completely untrue. I'm not eating particularly well at the moment.

So what do I do?

I chew a lot of gum. I drink more water. I exercise, because I can't exercise and eat at the same time. Occasionally, I give in, but when I do, I try to control the situation. Don't buy a bag of Chips Ahoy or a tube of cinnamon rolls. Buy a 2-pack of cookies from the cafeteria or split a cinnamon roll with Jim.

And then I spend a whole bunch of time telling myself that the craving is all in my head. Because it is.  Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

What do you do? And do you heat the syrup in the microwave or serve it straight out of the fridge?


No comments: