Monday, May 6, 2013

Shifting Gears

Spring is finally here! A change in the weather has brought a change in my attitude and a change in my routine.

It's about damn time.

I am officially walking. Did you hear me? I. Am. Officially. WALKING!!!!! This makes me very happy!  My knee is holding up and I'm taking it easy, trying very hard to not rush things. I've gone about 4 miles with no ill effects. My new goal is to walk/run the Habitat for Humanity 5K on May 19 with Jim.

We're almost 6 weeks out from the injections and maybe, just maybe, those orthopedic professionals knew what they were talking about when they said, "Give it 4-6 weeks to start working." Leave it to me/my knee to wait until the last possible second to kick in, right? Two weeks ago I was ready to give up. I'm the most surprised person in the room and I'm knocking on everything wood within reach right now.

(And don't tell anyone, but I ran for about a quarter of a mile on Sunday. It felt unbelievably clunky, heavy and uncoordinated ... far more like lumberjack than gazelle. But I'm going to get there. Come hell or high water, I'm going to get there.)

I am also finally outside riding my bike. My NEW bike! After a winter of practice in the basement, I hit the real road this past week and then got a longer ride in this weekend. It's slick. Really slick. There are some major differences between it and my hybrid, the biggest being just how smooth and easy it is to climb and how fast it feels to coast.

I've had to get used to the placement and functioning of the brakes and shifters, and I'm reprogramming my brain in hopes that it becomes a bit more automatic quickly. The narrow tires and stiff suspension are more unforgiving than my nubby fat wheels and shock absorbing frame, but I feel like I'm flying and that is just plain fun.

I'm getting used to all of it. Adjusting. One more time. And I'm learning a few things.

1. It's easier to make smooth transitions when you've had a little practice making transitions. Whether it's modifying workouts to work around injuries or simply downshifting to get up a literal or figurative hill, the more you do it, the better you are at it.
2. Shifting early is better than shifting late. In other words, plan. Be aware of your surroundings. Prepare for the course. And take it head on. Take charge instead of waiting and make your move.
3. Even on the downhill part of the ride or the run, there can be strong headwinds. And that means you have to keep shifting, keep pedaling and keep moving forward.

It's all about moving forward. Right?

(And, thank you, Jim, for my new bike. I love it! And riding it on the actual road is a zillion times better than riding it in the basement! And thank you to Juan Carlos, too, for making it all work!)

No comments: