Tuesday, May 7, 2013

It Ain't a Cure ...But It's a Damn Good Drug

I've said it a zillion times. And I'm going to hit it again.

Exercise won't fix all the crap in your life. But it sure won't hurt. And, it just might help you handle it with a clearer mind and an even keel.

Today was one of those days for me. Wavering between ready to bawl my eyes out and ready to take someone's head off.

I screwed up first thing this morning. I knew today was going to suck. And I skipped my morning sweat because I was "tired." Yeah, tired because I stayed up too late last night, trying to cram in just one more thing as my brain was already starting to race in anticipation of what I knew would be a challenging 8 hours.

Skipping the workout meant I didn't blow off the appropriate steam. I didn't get myself centered. I didn't have that hour to mentally prepare myself. And by noon, as I could have predicted, I was ready to come apart.

I'm lucky that when I have one of these days, I can leave. I don't do it often. But I'm grateful I can. (I'd be a terrible teacher or doctor or toll booth attendant. Or, I guess, I'd just be a fired teacher or doctor or toll booth attendant.)

So leave, I did, before anyone saw me cry and before I said something I'd regret. I finished my workday on my back deck, in the sun, radio on.

And then I hopped on my bike and rode. I rode for about 90 minutes ... 22 miles. Just me and the road and the wind and the gears and the hills and the yellow lab that tried to take me down.

He couldn't. I was too fast and yelled too loud and was too ... in the zone.

The 22 miles doesn't change anything. I get to go back and face it all tomorrow.

But I'll face it with a clearer head and a more even keel.

Can you hear Huey Lewis now?


I want a new drug 
One that won't make me sick 
One that won't make me crash my car 
Or make me feel three feet thick 

No comments: