Thursday, May 16, 2013

Make the Miracle

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” ~John Bingham, No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running 

Remember, it doesn't matter how far or how fast you go. It doesn't matter what you do. It doesn't matter if it is better than the day before.

It matters that you go. That you move. That you get there. 

When I was in 8th grade, the coach of the high school softball team asked me to come practice with the varsity team. He wanted me to pitch. He gave me a section of a brick wall, with a square taped off that represented a strike zone. He told me to pitch and land the ball in that square. 

I could do it when I was throwing slowly. The minute I tried to throw harder, I stopped hitting the square. 

"Accuracy is the most important thing, Miss Daisy," he said. "Speed will come later." 

I think of that a lot when I'm lifting what is probably a small amount of weight. Or running what I know is a slow pace or a short distance. I don't have to be "the best" at this out of the gate. I just have to get TO the gate and THROUGH the gate. The rest will come later ... as long as I keep getting TO and THROUGH the gate. 

http://www.johnbingham.com/index.php


No comments: