Friday, June 7, 2013

30 Miles Round Trip

So, my "what would it be like to bike to work?" experiment is over. And I think it was successful. Here's a quick recap of the highs and lows.

1. It was cold and drizzly when I left home, wearing long pants under padded shorts and a sleeveless running top with a long-sleeve neon yellow topper. And fingerless gloves. I should have worn something more wind/water resistant and full-finger gloves. 
I'm also wearing a neon green Bondi Band with
skulls on it. Doesn't the proportion of it, covering
my forehead, make it look like my helmet is just
sitting on top of my head? Can you say total dork

2. I learned I can't farmer blow. I made the mistake of not tucking a Kleenex into a pocket and had no choice but to literally blow my nose in my sleeve. Not attractive. But when you're all wet and cold anyway, a little snot doesn't seem like such a big thing.

3. Marlon Perkins has nothing on me. I was swooped by red tail hawk. I saw a super studly Tom turkey trying desperately to catch the eyes of three hens. I almost clipped a gopher. And, man, are there a bunch of rabbits on the loose.

4. Hauling a backpack is a different deal. Even that little bit of extra weight is noticeable.

5. Paying attention to traffic lights took some getting used to. I always ride in the country and never have to worry about this.

6. I felt like a dork getting into the elevator wearing my bike helmet (can't take it off when you're all sweaty and nasty!) with three other people who were dressed for work.

7. I poked around in the cabinets in the locker room and "borrowed" someone's blow dryer. I feel a bit guilty about this.

8. The ride home was infinitely nicer with a little sunshine.

9. It took me about an hour each way. My drive easily takes me 15-20 minutes, so this doesn't really add that much time to my day.

10. When I map it, I put in just under 30 miles. Enough to earn a trip to Cherry Berry tonight after dinner! 

I think I'm going to try to do this once a week, weather and schedule permitting. It's kind of a nice way to start the day. I think I can keep a small bag of beauty products in my office, perhaps even a curling iron, to make it less obvious that it's "ride your bike to work" day. 

1 comment:

Amber said...

Glad to hear it was a decent experience! I totally would've borrowed the blow dryer too!!