Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Summer BBQ Chicken Pizza

I left work late, had an errand to run and didn't get home until 6:30. Jim was about 15 minutes behind  me, which meant dinner needed to be fast because by 7 p.m., as a general rule, I'm STARVING.

First order of business is whipping up some veggie dip (low fat sour cream and Dill Dip packet) and throwing some raw veg on the kitchen island. This situation is exactly why I prep my fruit/veggie groceries when I get home from the store ... so they're ready and waiting for me. I shove as many cauliflower florets, red pepper strips, baby carrots and grape tomatoes in my face as fast as I can.  Ahhh. Now I can assemble the ingredients for tonight's main course.

Summer BBQ Chicken Pizza
1 whole wheat thin pizza crust (A pita would work and so would a whole wheat tortilla.)
1/2 jar Williams-Sonoma BBQ Pizza Sauce (can't find this online, but it was DELISH!)
1 leftover grilled chicken breast, cut in chunks
Big handful of sliced mushrooms
1/4 big red onion, sliced
1" x 2" hunk of parmesan cheese, grated
3 slices of reduced fat provolone cheese (the pre-sliced sandwich slice kind)

Put sauce on crust and pile on the rest. Cook at 400 degrees until cheese and edges are bubbly and brown.

How is this healthy, you ask? Compared to gazpacho, it's not. But the crust is whole wheat, the toppings are a much better option than "real" pizza and it's VERY light on cheese. And because it's so good, you'll never miss the heavier, greasier version from your local pizza shop.

The best news is I still have half a jar of that sauce left ... so I will get to eat it again soon. I'm already dreaming of what I can do with it. That will also give me some time to try and figure out how to make my own lower-in-salt-and-sugar version.

Here's the sauce. And the empty pizza pan. I probably 

should have thought of taking a photo earlier, huh?
 But an empty pan is proof that it was good, right? 



No comments: