Sunday, June 2, 2013

Southwestern Summer Salad



Mission: Bring "something healthy" to a graduation party.

Considerations: It's hot ... so no dairy or mayo. There's cake ... so keep it heavy on the veg. NO CHIPS ... so it can't be a dip or salsa. Many people, lots of age groups ... so make it sort of middle of the road flavor-wise. Nothing too bizarre.

And it would be nice if it would translate to a "Supper Salad" with the addition of meat for Jim.

I started with this recipe from AllRecipes.com: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zesty-Quinoa-Salad/Detail.aspx

I doctored it up by adding corn, avocado, red pepper chunks, and black olives. To the dressing, I added my beloved Tajin, diced garlic, cilantro from a tube and some Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning, while cutting the olive oil a bit.

It's got a little zing. And since quinoa is a whole grain and the black beans add protien and the olives, olive oil and avocado add healthy fat, I think it's pretty well rounded. I could add diced chicken and call it a meal.

We'll see if I come home with an empty bowl or a full one.

UPDATE: Didn't come home with a bowl at all, as we left before the shindig was over. But I think it went over pretty well! I'll be honest and tell you that the delicious taco salad with ground beef, Nacho Cheese Doritos, French dressing and cheese was gone first ... because it was delicious! Ha!

(PHOTO from AllRecipes.com)

No comments: