Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I Hate Peas

I hate peas. Hate 'em.

I don't like them in cold salads. Feel free to make my classic 7-Layer Salad with half as much gross mayo and no peas. And, feel free to call it a 5-and-a-Half-Layer Salad, if you wish.

I don't like them warm, either. I hate chasing them around my plate when they are served as an ordinary vegetable side (mostly because I hate using spoons, but that's a story for another day). I hate them mixed in with something hot ... like beef stew or chicken pot pie ... because they offer zero flavor and virtually no texture except soggy/mushy in those venues. 

And yet, I'm a bit obsessed with sugar snap peas right now. Love 'em. 

Normally, I try to avoid eating too many starchy vegetables. Since corn, potatoes (even sweet potatoes) and peas fall in that category, they don't show up in our house much. 

But there's something about eating the pod that makes me feel better about the whole pea thing. They're sweet and super crunchy and so good right out of the fridge. 

And you don't have to use a spoon. 

No comments: