Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fall Food

One of my favorite things about fall is the change in food.

This week has brought butternut squash, kale, edamame and honey crisp apples!

Butternut Beloved: After Tennessee's sweet potato casserole, I had a hankering for butternut squash soup. My original recipe is here. This time, I roasted the squash first, used veg stock and water instead of chicken stock. I left out all of the fresh herbs and celery, added some carrots, hot sauce and kale ... and it still tasted delicious. The only difference is that when I first made it, Jim claimed to like it. He has since decided he prefers a bowl of cereal. What does he know?

Edamame Experimentation: You know how much I love hummus, right? That's the starting point. When a trip through my freezer uncovered not one, not two, not three, not even four ... but FIVE bags of frozen edamame, a plan unfolded. (With the help of Trisha Yearwood's stupid show on The Food Channel Sunday morning, as much as I hate to admit it.)

So I took this hummus recipe and swapped a 16-oz. bag of frozen edamame (boiled for a few minutes) for the chick peas, eliminated the tahini, added lime juice instead of lemon juice and then tossed in some Tajin seasoning, chili powder, hot sauce and voila! This cool green spread that's good with carrots and chips. Packed with protein, it's been my meat substitute for two days.

Honey Crisp Hallelujah: We snuck in a 15-minute stop at a local apple orchard on Sunday afternoon in the middle of errands and boy, was it worth it. Sure, the trip garnered an apple donut each and one caramel apple to split. Oh. Yum. But it also netted a bag of honey crisp which has made every lunch this week better. I always say I could live on apples, cheese, popcorn and chocolate. And if those apples were honey crisp, that would be OK with me.

What is your favorite fall food?
autumn,cornucopias,cropped images,cropped pictures,fall,food,fruits,harvests,holidays,PNG,seasons,special occasions,Thanksgiving,transparent background,vegetables

No comments: