Friday, October 11, 2013

The Plan and The Reality

Tuesday night I had a plan. Locked and loaded. Went to bed knowing exactly how Wednesday would roll.

The Plan:
5 a.m. Wake up and hit the basement for a 45-minute bike ride.
7 a.m. At work, email boss and see if he'd like to do a walking lunch ... get another 30-45 minutes of cardio in, spend some "non-work" time tending the garden that is a work relationship, breathe a little fresh air.
12 noon Walk. Eat lunch of celery, edamame hummus, apple.
4 p.m. Hip exercises and sit-ups in the Fitness Center before R.I.P.P.E.D. class.
5 p.m. R.I.P.P.E.D. class.
6:30 p.m. Light, healthy dinner.
9 p.m. Early bedtime.

The Reality:
4:30 a.m. Up before the alarm, tired.
5:15 a.m. Arguing with myself about biking. Trying to convince myself my knees hurt.
5:30 a.m. Back-up alarm goes off. I turn it off and decide not to bike by using the noon walk and R.I.P.P.E.D. class as justification. Doze for a while.
7:30 a.m. Finally make it to work. Open email. See that boss will not be in Janesville today as planned.
12 noon Start to eat lunch at my desk. Celery and edamame consumed when Jim calls to he's in town and wants to meet for lunch. No walk. Eat chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant, along with the meat from two chicken soft tacos and the shell of one.
4 p.m. Head down to Fitness Center and climb on elliptical for 45 minutes of cardio.
5 p.m. R.I.P.P.E.D. class.
6:30 p.m. Leftover squash soup for dinner.

The moral of the story is ... STICK TO THE PLAN and control the things you can control. The early workout depends on me and only me. No schedule change or unexpected circumstance can derail that. Get it in the bag. On top of that, I ended up with way too many carbs for the day and never did get to the hip exercises and sit-ups. I went to bed disappointed in myself and that impacts the next day.



You never regret a workout you did. You always regret the one you didn't do. Repeat it a million times.

P.S. I righted the ship Thursday and finally got around to the hip and ab stuff today. Tenacity is a good thing.

No comments: