Tuesday, October 15, 2013

New Runner, Chapter 7

NEW RUNNER: A few new things to report.

1. I ate before running tonight and thought I might feel sick. But I didn't. I made it back just before sundown and enjoyed the cooler air and breeze.

2. My neighborhood was very busy tonight. Lots of people out walking, on bikes, and in their yards. I like to be more incognito, especially when I'm wearing my running tights as opposed to my regular yoga pants. My hubby couldn't believe I'd go out looking like that because normally I wouldn't. 

3. On my walk-run intervals, I felt like I could keep running, even when my program said to walk. Can I do that? Or should I stick to the program? It's supposed to be tried and true so I don't want to mess up a good thing. 

MISS DAISY: Your messages make me smile. 

1. When I run in the early morning, I normally don't eat if I'm doing less than 5 miles. Mostly I do it this way because I don't want to eat, wait for it to settle for for me to pee, etc. before I go out. On race days or longer run days, I do eat ... usually some whole grain carb and protein ... at least an hour before I hit the road. On the 65-mile bike ride day, I ate more, and then along the route too, because I knew my body needed the fuel. If you're going to eat, I would keep the food "clean" and simple. Protein and carb. No heavy, complicated stuff. Dairy sounds like a bad idea to me. I found this article which seems to make sense: http://beta.active.com/nutrition/Articles/What-to-Eat-Before-a-Run

2. I, too, remember being sort of embarrassed to be seen in my workout gear. I am SO over that! And I think it's because I now wear the gear with pride. I have "earned" the right to wear it. And I have earned the body that's in it. But it's not really about that. It's so much more. 

You're discovering the secret of all of this. You are finding your own strength. Your POWER. Your confidence. Your pride. Your peace. Yes, your butt is getting smaller and your muscles are getting stronger. But your understanding of yourself -- and your belief in YOU -- is getting bigger. It still amazes me that as big as the change was to my outside, it was tiny compared to the change inside. It's good to feel good about you. And I'm so thrilled that you are uncovering it!

3. That's such a good question. My gut says stick to the plan. Run faster and walk faster, if you can, but stick to the time. Avoiding injury is important, too, and pushing might lead to shin splints or knee issues or something. I looked it up and found this interview with the creator of C25K. He says stick to it, though he doesn't really say why.

Q: Would trying to do too much, too fast be the biggest temptation of the program?
A: Patience is so incredibly important for new runners. As people discover that they actually like running and that they’re actually able to make progress, there’s a real temptation to jump ahead, to try to make that progress come faster. It’s important to resist that, to give your body a chance to get used to all this new activity." http://globalmoxie.com/blog/c25k~print.shtml

And last but not least, I want to share this little gem. New Runner is down 13 pounds. That's 13 freaking pounds! Her favorite Miss Me jeans are too big, but she's not buying new ones until she hits her goal. The icing on the cake? Her daughter offered her own jeans up, two whole sizes smaller than New Runner's normal size, saying they look better on mom than her. How awesome is that? Virtual round of applause, please! 


2 comments:

Amber said...

Awesome job New Runner!!! Keep it up and thanks for sharing your journey with us!!!

New Runner said...

Thank YOU for making me smile. You are making this journey so validated for me! Thank you CC fans for allowing me to share in Miss Daisy's wisdom and humor. I am truly blessed!!!