Monday, October 28, 2013

It's All About the Eating

I'm strong. 

I'm proud that I'm strong. 

I can run 6 miles on a regular day, probably do 8 if I was running from an intruder. Might even be able to do 10 if there was a pot of gold at the end of the route. 

I can bike at least 65 miles. If the weather was cool enough and the wind calm enough and the hills small enough, I could probably do 20 more than that. 

I can do an hour on the elliptical, then follow it immediately with a R.I.P.P.E.D. class and still feel like there's gas in the tank. 

But none of that matters if I'm not eating properly. 

And I'm not eating properly. 

That's why I've put on those 15-ish pounds and it's why they're not coming off. The truth is I can exercise my guts out and if I'm eating badly, it's all for nothing. 

After a disappointing shopping trip yesterday, I had a better day today. I was busy at work and that helped me keep my mind off of crunching and munching. Dinner wasn't perfect, but pretty good.

I even gave away my last two pieces of Dove Dark this afternoon. If that's not commitment, I don't know what is. 

I'm happy for the success New Runner is having. The running she's doing is absolutely having a positive impact. I want to make sure you all understand, though, that the eating is so very important, too. 

Good eating is not depriving yourself of everything good. It's being smart. It's using food as fuel first. It's knowing how much you really need and what works best for you. 

It's not taking in too much and also not taking in too little. 

Above all else, for me anyway, it's not using exercise as an excuse to sneak an extra  piece of candy. And in ice cream cone. And a small slice of cake. And you get the idea. 

Eating well is being good to yourself. It's treating your body properly. 

You deserve that. And so do I. 


1 comment:

Amber said...

I always remind myself that "abs are made in the kitchen" and "you can't out exercise a bad diet"... Now if they just sold motivation in a bottle we'd be set!