Monday, October 21, 2013

New Runner, Chapter 9

MISS DAISY: Hey, New Runner ... there's been a request from CC readers. They want to know what you're eating to help you along this "be healthier" kick. Care to share?

NEW RUNNER: Happy to share. I'm doing Weight Watchers along with this new exercise program. Here's how it breaks down:

I get 26 points per day. I downloaded a free app on my phone. It's called WWDiary and I found it in the App Store.

A typical day starts with a Smart One's oatmeal (in the freezer section) or an English muffin with jam. Mid-morning I like pistachios or string cheese to keep me going. Lunch varies. I like a salad with grilled chicken and veggies if I have them, Triscuits and Laughing Cow cheese (two wedges) and fruit. Honey Crisp apples right now! Dinner is usually lean meat of some sort ... pork, chicken or a little filet ... veggies and sometimes a glass of wine or cocktail.

We eat lots of grilled stuff like fajitas and/or chicken with veggies. Occasionally a burger, a slice of veggie pizza or BLT. I am not a big dessert person, but do like an occasional cocktail or wine, so I enjoy that rather than sweets.

I have discovered flavored water at WalMart that is calorie- and sodium free. It's yummy and called Clear American and is in the aisle by the mix-in stuff for water like Crystal Light. I find that I often don't eat as much as I should, believe it or not.

It's just smart eating. My biggest pitfall is the cocktails ... and I love pasta. Trying to stay away from that is hard. Tiny portions isn't as easy for me to do when it comes to carbs ... bread, too.

Hope this helps! Thanks for asking!

No comments: