Thursday, October 3, 2013

New Runner, Chapter 2

NEW RUNNER: I did it! Day 1down! I have to say, I didn't love it, but I feel great afterward. One minute of running at a time is hard for me ... and I thought I was in shape. Pretty pathetic, eh?

MISS DAISY: Yeeeee hawwwwww! That's so awesome. Doesn't it feel good to know you can do it? I am so happy for you! And the best part is you get rewarded for the "hard" of today because it will get easier and then you up the challenge a little and it starts all over. It's totally addicting in my opinion. Will you "Guest Post" on the blog? Thank you for letting me along for the ride.

NEW RUNNER: It does feel good! I'm really hoping that I can do this for the Jingle Bell run. I told one of my colleagues about it and she may want to join us, too. She already runs and does Cross Fit, so she is in killer fit shape, but she says she can slow down for me! I'd love to give you updates for CC. It will give me motivation to not give up.

Like I said, I didn't love the running part. I feel like I can't breathe. That's something I need help with. Any tips? I will also take water next time and I need to get some kind of arm band for my phone. I've got a lot of learning to do!

MISS DAISY: You will learn something each and every time. Listen to your body. YOUR BODY, not your head. Your head will try to talk you out of lots of things. You are going to be out of breath. But keep thinking about that minute. It's only a minute (or two minutes or three or whatever). You can make it to the end of the minute. Tell yourself you can. Slow your pace if you need to. Count your steps or something to get your mind off the idea of can't. Find a rhythm with your breathing. And because you DO make it, it will be easier next time.


I usually follow a 2:2 breathing pattern. Two footstrikes on the inhale and two on the exhale. There is lots of info on the web regarding 2:2, 3:2, belly vs. chest breathing, etc. Here's one that covers all of it.
http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/running-air-breathing-technique?page=single

Keep going! Have you slipped, "I went for a run last night" into a conversation yet? I'm not going to lie. It's kind of fun.

No comments: