Friday, October 18, 2013

New Runner, Chapter 8

NEW RUNNER: Ran again today ... no rest day in between. I couldn't wait to get out there, because it was the start of a new week on my C25K program. It was hard!!! But, after i was done, it didn't seem all that bad! So, what if I am getting close to the Dec. 14 date, and I'm not close to the 5K on my program? Do I shift ahead in the program after a few days of a new running/walking combo? I'm afraid I won't be able to do the whole 5K by then. Suggestions?

MISS DAISY: I am assuming your C25K is a 9 week program? If it is, you'll be in great shape on Dec. 14, right? If the C25K you downloaded is a week off, you're still going to be fine. I promise! And though we talked earlier about sticking to the plan to avoid injury and ensure success, I think if you're feeling good on Dec. 1 ... feeling really strong and good ... you could probably do exactly what you suggested. Condense it just a smidge. But I promise you, race day will bring adrenaline that will carry you over the finish line.

In fact, all half marathon and full marathon plans that I have ever seen DO NOT HAVE YOU RUN THE FULL DISTANCE BEFORE THE RACE. In some half plans, you only train to 11 miles. In some full plans, you only run 20 or 22 miles beforehand. The truth is if you are "fit" enough to run 22 miles, you're more than capable of running 26. So even if you don't get to a full 3.1 miles running before Jingle day, you will be FINE. I promise! I promise! I promise!

And it's getting cold out. You might want to invest in some good wicking long sleeve shirts. Depending on the wind and rain, I'm likely to be in a sleeveless with built in bra and long sleeve over, plus tights this time of year. I may or may not take off the long sleeve during the run.

The rule of thumb I have seen is to dress for 20 degrees warmer than it is because that's how you feel once you warm up. But get wicking fabric! Cotton is no good. Sweatshirts are no good. They get wet and stay wet and wet makes you cold. Gloves and and earband is also important for me. I'm not up to the fleece yet, but a Bondi over my ears and thin gloves work.

Here are a couple of good articles on the subject:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/tips_archives/seasonal.html
http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear


No comments: