Sunday, October 27, 2013

New Runner, Chapter 12

NEW RUNNER: Wednesday was the first day of the new, longer intervals. And it was HARD! During the longest run interval, I had to stop running and walk. And just 20 seconds or so after I did, my program told me to start walking. Bummer! If I'd only stuck with it for just a little bit longer!

Then came Saturday. Despite the wind, I rant the entire time I was supposed to today!!! All the way out in the country! I figured it out and I'm running 16 minutes. I know that seems like a really short time for some, but it's a HUGE accomplishment for me, considering a few weeks ago I could barely handle 30 seconds at a time.

I still can't believe I am doing this. I never dreamed I would consider myself a "runner." I still have a long way to go, but I will get there. Happily, the cooler weather isn't bothering me. I actually love the fresh air to end my day. 

MISS DAISY: Oh, there's so much good stuff in here.

1) Yes, increasing your time/distance/interval is tough. But doing it smart is the key. The old adage is never increase your time/distance more than 10% a week. So if you're running 10 miles a week, it's safe to add one more. Or if you're running 3 miles every day, it's OK to increase 0.3 miles each time. The slow, steady increase helps you prevent injuries. And, don't forget: YOU ARE CAPABLE of the extra time/distance! You are building a solid cardio base and you can do it. 

2) The wind on Saturday was brutal! There was a point on my return leg of my out-and-back loop that I wasn't even sure I was moving forward! I kind of secretly like battling the wind. It makes me feel tough. Kind of like being out there when it's 20 degrees. I want to believe all of the people passing me in cars are saying ... "Check her out. She's brave or crazy. You go, girl!"

3) If you run, you are a runner. Period. Enjoy it. It's all you and you're doing it. 

do what you can./

No comments: