Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Better Than Potato Chips. Seriously.

I have a new addiction. I can't get enough of it. And, it's not so horrible for me!

I've posted this "recipe" before. But because it's so freaking good, I'm going to post it again.

Why do I love them? They crunch. A lot.

They're great for dipping in anything. Think hummus, salsa, dill dip, fake crab dip.

They're great for piling stuff on top of them. Think crostini ... or nachos! Ground turkey, cheese and salsa. Ricotta and olive tapenade. Blue cheese/herby goat cheese/smoked Gouda and cantaloupe.  Smoked salmon. Turkey, cream cheese and dried cranberries. The possibilities are endless! (And this month's Rachel Ray magazine has some "snack" ideas that would work great.)

With some adjustments to the salt sprinkle, they're versatile. Use garlic salt and call them "breadsticks" with spaghetti. Use a little cinnamon/sugar or Splenda mix for a sweet treat. Olive oil spray and oregano for a different version of Italian. Chili powder and cumin for Mexican. Rosemary and lemon pepper for a Mediterranean flair.

Now I'm hungry!

What I love most is that I control the oil and the salt, so I know what I'm eating isn't so bad. And because it's whole wheat, there's actually some nutrition in it, compared to baked Scoops or baked potato chips.

Pita Chips
Whole wheat pitas
Butter flavor veg spray or olive oil spray
Salt

Cut pitas in triangles or strips, Separate tops and bottoms. Place inside up on baking sheet. Spray with veg oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake 350 degrees until crunchy. Store in airtight plastic bag.

3 comments:

HR GIRL said...

Miss Daisy -
"By gosh, I think I just may have to try those there chips!" I am saying this in my best southern drawl - not sure why, but as I type this and say it in the southern drawl it makes me smile and laugh a little. Have you laughed today...

Miss Daisy said...

You always make me laugh, HR Girl!!! Always have.

Anonymous said...

Do you have anything that could replace FLAMING HOT CHEETOS??