Thursday, April 21, 2011

Resistance is Futile?

I just saw a commercial for the Reebok EasyTone workout apparel. Apparently, the tops and pants have built-in "resistance bands" to give you a little extra workout, no matter what you're doing.

I can't quite figure out what that means. What, exactly, do they resist? How do you get a workout from a shirt?

Then Jim pipes in. "Maybe it's just really tight and it's a workout to get it off and on. But you could get the same thing from buying a smaller size."

As someone who recently went down a size in her workout tops, I can attest to the fact that peeling them off when they're soaking wet CAN provide a pretty good heart-rate increase.

I laughed at this idea until I went to the Reebok website and read the reviews for the short sleeve shirt. This is what one non-enthusiast had to say (and I fixed the typos):

"Really wanted this top. I went to a local well-known sporting goods store to try it on. It is DEF not made for a bust size bigger than a C cup. I tried on my regular size (Large) and I couldn't even get it over my chest. I actually had to have my 4-year-old daughter help me pull it up over my head to get it off. It gave me a workout just trying it on. I really wanted it to fit but sadly it didn't. If you have a small chest size it might work for you." 

Why didn't I think of this? Reebok is going to make millions for making shirts smaller than normal and I'm going to get bupkis.

No comments: