Sunday, April 24, 2011

Two Hams are Better Than One

What happens when two people with long to-do lists and good intentions of helping each other out go the grocery store at separate times?

You end up with two Easter hams. One fancy spiral cut, honey version and one regular bone-in version. (Jim, of course, is the fancy spiral cut supplier.)

What do two people who eat red meat once a week at best do with two Easter hams? The jury is still out.

One will be devoured by my family today. In fact, it smells soooooo good right now that I'm salivating. Can't wait to eat my fill. As for the other? I don't really want to devote all that freezer space to something that will be there for months. The local food pantry just might be in for a nice surprise. However, I'm not sure Jim will let me leave the house, ham in hand, knowing I'm going to give it away.

Ham is the equivalent of crack for him. Always has been. I may have to wrap it up in a baby blanket and tell him I'm kid-sitting for someone, and sneak it out that way (like an old I Love Lucy episode). Or put it in a Kohl's bag and tell him I'm returning, umm, what would come from Kohls and be as heavy as a ham?

I'm open to suggestions if you have any.

No comments: