Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ass Over Tea Kettle

The last week has been awful for so many reasons. Let's be honest ... sometimes life takes priority over your eating and workout schedule.

My family spent the week in ICU with my dad. That took precedence over all else. What we ate, when we exercised, if we slept ... all so far down on the list that they really didn't matter.

During a chaotic time, I found myself craving the routine of my workout; craving the familiarity of my morning bagel. My body needed the movement and the fuel to work properly and to help me think straight when it felt like I was "ass over tea kettle," as an old friend used to say.

The past three days have been a flurry of activity as we plan the funeral. But I've been able to start two of the three with a workout. It clears my head, gives me some alone-cry time and gets my blood pumping.

Eating has been a little trickier. I'm going to admit to two meals of pizza and a bag of coconut M&Ms. But it's OK. I'm trying to be very conscious of stress eating. Sleeping isn't exactly on schedule either, but I'm working on it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: When the world seems out of control, the familiarity of your routine can bring you some clarity and bring some order to the confusion. Use it.

No comments: