Saturday, June 18, 2011

Edamame Salad

With a nod of thanks to my Aunt Karen. I think I scared her when I called her and asked her for the recipe. It was kind of early on a Saturday morning. (I made a couple of adjustments to match what I had on hand.)

Edamame Salad
5 c blanched broccoli florets (this is one big bag from the freezer section, but fresh is better if you have the time)
1 c light edamame (from freezer section ... and you can add more if you want to)
1/2 c chopped red onion

1/2 c dried cranberries
1/2 c dry roasted peanuts

1c light mayo (or 1/2 c light mayo, 1/2 c Greek yogurt)
2 T sugar (or Splenda)
2 T cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

If using fresh broccoli, blanch the florets and pop them in an icebath so they retain a little snap and neon green color. If using frozen, drop them in boiling water for literally a minute and remove them to an icebath. (You DON'T want mushy broccoli!) Prepare the edamame according to package instructions ... I think mine says drop in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Again, you don't want mush.

Mix broccoli, edamame, onion and set aside. Make dressing. This makes MORE than enough dressing for the veg volume.

If you have more people to feed, stretch it with more veg. The dressing seems like enough for more veg than I have listed ... so I mix the dressing in a separate bowl and only add as much as I need.

If you're eating it right away, toss in peanuts and crasins and mix everything together. Chow down. If you're not serving until the next day, keep the three categories separate (veg, peanut/craisin combo and dressing) and mix it all together just before serving. The peanuts get soft if they're in the dressing too long and the dressing kind of thins out.

No comments: