Saturday, June 4, 2011

Potluck Strategy

'Tis the season of graduation parties, cookouts, wedding receptions and the like. That means a whole new season of challenging eating.

(OK, let's be honest. Is there ever an "off season" for challenging eating? It will be Thanksgiving and Christmas in a week or two, right?)

Today I had a graduation party to navigate and there's another one tomorrow. This afternoon's version featured not one, not two, but three Nesco roasters, filled with turkey, sloppy joes and ham for sandwiches. A half dozen of those giant Tupperware bowls with mayonnaise-laden macaroni salads and two banquet tables full of desserts.

Oh, and I forgot the mention the taco dip and chips and meatballs and spinach dip and crackers and cheese and sausage ... and on and on and on ... that were out before we actually ate.

Yum. And ugh.

So here's my approach. My strategy if you will.

I look at it all first. Then I sit down, without taking a plate. Then I think about what's available. And I break the food into two categories: what can I eat any day of the week if I want to and what am I not likely to get at home or as a normal part of my life.

In this case, I decide that I can have the crackers and cheese and taco dip and ham anytime. So I skip those. Not going to waste the calories.

The "good stuff" that I consider to be a real treat ... that's where I spend my time: hot turkey and crab salad and rhubarb bars. Yum!

P.S. Can I tell you how much I love rhubarb? I have a killer recipe from my Aunt Arletta that produces bars with a shortbread crust, rhubarb filling and whip cream top that are So. Freaking. Amazing. But I can't make them ... Jim doesn't like rhubarb and I'd end up eating the whole damn pan. Eating one bar at a graduation party is going to have to be my fix.

No comments: