Monday, September 26, 2011

I Want You to Feel It, Too!

I had a fantastic day today. I walked around all day with a smile on my face. I was almost giddy. Sort of smug, even. Like I had the best secret in the whole world and I wanted to tell everyone. 
 
But I couldn’t really tell everyone. It would have been weird and looked like I was obsessing or, worse, desperate for attention.  
 
I am going to tell you … because I know you will understand.
 
I looked up the 10K final results Sunday night before I went to bed. And guess what? I finished 7th overall in the women’s group at 1:01:01 … which is a 9:50 mile average. Everyone that finished before me was younger than me by at least 4 years. And, I came in first out of five in my age division!
 
Is that a freaking riot or what?
 
Now, before you send me congrats, or atta girls, that’s not why I’m telling you this. I am NOT fishing for compliments. Or bragging. Or, again, desperate for attention.
 
I want to tell you this because I want you to know HOW FREAKING GOOD THIS FEELS!
 
I can’t wipe the smile off my face. I have that nearly jittery feeling in my chest. The first thing I did this morning when I got to work was go find my mountain climbing friend and tell him. I felt like a little kid on show and tell day, bursting at the seams of my knee socks and lunchbox.
 
He was appropriately excited for me and I got a couple of high fives. As I was walking away, I turned and said, “Me! Can you believe it was ME? I did that. Me!”And in my head all I could see was the 200+ pound, size 20 me. She's looking at this me and can hardly believe it. Who knew she had it in her?
 
I really want YOU to feel like this. I want you to be this happy, this confident, this proud. I want you to feel this good about you. It’s the best drug on the planet and you deserve to treat yourself to it.
 
The journey to the starting line was so much longer and so much more difficult than the actual race. But it was so worth it.
 
Come play with me! Join me in this fun. You are worth every ounce of blood, sweat and tears you're throwing into the healthy you. 
 
And if 10K feels this good, I'm starting to wonder what a half marathon might be like ...
 
(And a shout-out to my cousin Jerry who completed his first half marathon on Saturday, too! Ran it with his son. How cool is that?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome Lisa! Congrats & many high fives!!!!

Mary

marthamac said...

I'm sooo proud of you! You deserve this feeling! You are amazing!