Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Hurry Up!

Here's a strategy for burning a few extra calories.

Hurry up.

Yup. That's it. Hurry. Scurry. Zip around. Leave you lumber, meander and stroll at home.

There's a woman I know who never sits still. She scoots everywhere she goes. She's a real whirling dervish, s they say ... always in motion. I've seen her blow in from work, pick up a dust rag on her way up the stairs, wipe things off as she makes dinner in one fell swoop. Then in a flurry of dish soap bubbles and flying leftovers in plastic wrap, dinner is over and she's out the door for her nightly two mile walk.

This walk is really a scamper, half-jog-like shuffle. Rain, snow, sleet, dark of night ... she's out there.

I was thinking of this yesterday as I was rolling into Target. I wasn't in any particular hurry. And out of nowhere, a little sprite of a thing buzzed in front of me toward the door. She was moving, too. My head snapped up. My thighs tightened and I kicked it up a notch. All of a sudden I didn't want to get passed.

And it dawned on me that I could probably burn more calories if I ran errands at a faster pace.

Is that weird?

No comments: