Monday, November 7, 2011

Why Not Before?

One of the other questions I get asked is:

"Why didn't you do it before?"

And here's the answer:

I didn't do it before because I didn't think I could.

I didn't believe I was capable of eating better, exercising a little and keeping it up long enough to make a difference.

In fact, I talked myself into believing that BS for years. I bought into the voice in my head that said, "You have gotten too big to turn back the clock. You are heavy enough where small changes ... like losing 5 pounds ... won't matter. Who will even notice 5 pounds?"

But guess what?

I learned that I was flat out, absolutely, unequivocally, without a doubt wrong. Plain, ol' W-R-O-N-G wrong.

Part of me was afraid of trying and failing, sure. But the truth is I had never really tried too hard before, so that was more of a convenient excuse. I thought I was too big, too weak and too lazy to try ... and too numb to care enough to want to.

Did you hear what I said? I was wrong.

I wasn't too big. I wasn't too weak. I wasn't too lazy. And when I looked in the mirror, really looked, I knew I wasn't too numb to care. This me was in there. I just had to get out of her way.

No comments: