Sunday, November 20, 2011

The LBD

That's Little Black Dress, BTW. (That's By The Way, FYI.) (And that's For Your Information ... umm, yeah, I'm done now. Sometimes this blog is really only to entertain me.)

Today was the annual fall shopping trip for me and my oldest and dearest friends. I have mentioned this trip before, I think. I used to sort of dread it. Not the hanging out with my friends part ... always loved that. But when I was bigger, the clothes shopping part was just NOT fun for me. My feet hurt all the time and I never liked hiding out in housewares while everyone else was in the fitting rooms.

This year's trip came with a mission that was 180 degrees from any previous outing: Find an LBD for a New Year's Eve wedding.

I've never owned an LBD before. BBDs, yes. Even MBDs. (Big and Medium, in case you're not tracking with me.) But this dress had to meet a list of requirements. Be sparkly enough for New Year's, but not so shiny that I'd look like I was trying to be in the wedding vs. just a guest. Be form-fitting enough to take advantage of all the hard work I've put into this new body, but not too slutty/cheap/cheesy. Be youthful enough to belie my 44 years by a few, but not so young as to make me look desperate. You get the idea.

I can't tell you how much fun it was to try on no less than 10 sparkly, shiny, form-fitting dresses ... knowing without a doubt that all of them would fit and that I would have the opportunity to choose the one that looked great ... not just pick the one that "worked" enough.

And best of all, I had the best built-in selection committee and cheering section a girl could ask for.

Now, for some strappy high heels ...

(The moral of this story is: The work it took to get here is WAY worth it.)

No comments: