Monday, November 28, 2011

I Loaned Olivia a Shirt

My nieces came for a two-night overnight this past weekend. I love these events because they fill my "mom" tank up, and just as it approaches uncomfortably overloaded, I get to send the kiddles home, full of sugar, spoiled rotten and tired.

For those of you who don't know, my nieces are 9- and 7-years-old, or, as Bella would say, "Almost 10" and 8.

They each packed a full suitcase for the big sleepover. As we all changed into our PJs about an hour before bed, Miss O comes into the living room rocking her summer jams: spaghetti strap top with short bottoms. Umm, yeah, a bit to chilly for Thanksgiving.

"Did you bring a sweatshirt or something to wear over your PJs, Liv?" I ask. "You're going to freeze between now and bedtime." 

"No." She's not overly verbose, that girl.

I venture ahead, "Do you want a long sleeve shirt or something to wear over your jammies?"

 She nods, characteristically.

So I head to my closet, find my tightest-fitting long-sleeve running shirt and take it to her. We slip it over her head, roll up the sleeves and she's good to go.

Now, it doesn't FIT her. It's too big. But the shoulders are roughly in the right spot and she can keep it on.

I marvel at how different this picture would have looked 18 months ago. To be clear, my goal isn't to wear the same size as an almost-8-year-old ... but I could have fit four of her in my old shirts.

1 comment:

HR GIRL said...

Simply Cool!