Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday Night Fish Fry

Guess how many calories in the average Friday night Wisconsin fish fry?

Per a quick Google search, 1100. And that's before beer.

That's just about a whole day's intake on a weight-loss plan. Oh, and you can add 500 calories for the all-you-can-eat version.

I love Friday fish fries. When I was a kid, my family went out for fish nearly every Friday night ... even when times were tough. I didn't have the fanciest name-brand blue jeans or tennis shoes and my parents didn't drive nice cars, but there was always enough for fish on Fridays. And a few quarters for the jukebox, a kiddie cocktail and order of deep-fried cheese curds, to boot.

My body is now sort of genetically programmed to crave fish on Fridays. The longing usually starts about 4 p.m. I prefer battered to breaded, potato pancakes over french fries, creamy coleslaw vs. the vinegar kind.

I know I should choose baked fish option. But I don't always do what I should do.

It's a perfect meal.

I could choose to feel guilty about eating it. But I don't, because I don't do it every week. Or even every month.

Which allows me to really enjoy it when I do.

Happy Friday.

No comments: