Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Running ... Out of Time

It's official.  I think I'm entering my mid-life crisis.

All of a sudden, I realized I'm halfway to 90, and burning daylight. I feel like I'm just getting started and when I do the math, I don't have that much time left to do all that I want to do. To see all the places I want to see. To experience all the things I want to experience.

Life is happening too fast.

My kid is a grown up and my nieces are done being little. My mom is the same age as the people whose obituaries I obsessively read in the Sunday newspaper. I'm 23 years into my career and sort of don't care anymore about climbing higher and busting my ass.

Old is coming way too fast and I'm worried about fitting it all in.

After losing the weight, it felt like I got a "do-over." I got to crouch down as someone raised a starter's pistol and said, "Runners, take your mark, get set ... " BANG.

I'm running. Literally and figuratively. I want to attack the world and see it all, taste it all, experience it all. I'm full of energy and I WANT IT ALL. I'm also so incredibly pissed off that I wasted so much time in a body that held me back.

I was waiting to live my life. Letting my life happen to me.

I am no longer content to wait.

Buckle up, kids. We're putting the hammer down. 

No comments: