Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Me vs. M&Ms

There's a war waging in my house. In my head, really.

Here's the situation:

I'm not yet running. Actually, I'm not even walking. I'm about three weeks away from that ... or at least that's the timetable given to me by the orthopedic experts in charge of my care.

I'm experimenting. I have tried to walk. Not so good. I've tried to bike every day. Not so good. I've tried taking a whole week off ... no exercise whatsoever ... icing down every night. That didn't seem to matter either.

I managed a pretty good strength workout Saturday, and followed that up with a weights/bike workout Tuesday. This morning I did another balance/stretch/strength routine and am hoping for the bike tomorrow.

I should be swimming. I know I should be swimming. I just can't do it.

I'd really like to get outside. I'd really like to hit the pavement. But I'm trying to be patient, because I know a little patience now will hopefully allow me to come back stronger, longer, later.

It's so hard to wait. It's beyond frustrating.

I'm choosing to view this as a test of my will. A test of my desire to stay healthy and my ability to fight for me.

Tonight, the M&Ms may have won the battle. But they won't win the war.

No comments: