Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Workout is the Reward

Remember I mentioned the "Challenge" event a friend of mine is running via a FB page? This week's challenge is "to do something for yourself," knowing that as wives and mothers and daughters, we tend to put everyone else's needs ahead of our own.

I like the challenge. And my first thought, and my commitement to the group, was that I was going to get a mani/pedi and attempt a project that I have been putting off because I haven't found the time.

And then I thought more about it.

What is really the best way to be good to yourself?

Eating right and getting a little exercise seems like a great place to start.

This idea has come up here before, but even I had forgotten how important it is. Words to Live By and The Voices in Your Head

Chocolate cake that tastes good going in, but makes you miserable later because it does a number on your self-esteem and self-worth when you beat yourself up over it, is not good for you.

Skipping a workout to sleep in seems like a good idea in the wee hours of the morning. But when the rest of the day gets too busy and there isn't room for some activity later on, you end up junking the whole day and putting yourself further behind instead of one step ahead on the path to what you really want.

Being good to yourself means BEING GOOD TO YOURSELF.

And trust me, it's easier to get up at 4:30 to get that 45-minute treadmill rendezvous in if your head is telling you that the workout is the reward, not the punishment.

I hope you are good to yourself this week. You're worth it and you deserve it.


No comments: