Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Asian Carrot Slaw

I made this for the first time Saturday and loved it. There's a link to the original at the end and my version is here.

Asian Carrot Slaw

Slaw Part:
1 bag coleslaw mix
1 bag shredded carrots
1 red bell pepper, sliced into a size/shape like the slaw and carrots
1/2 to 3/4 red onion, sliced into size/shape like slaw and carrots
1 cup frozen edamame, thawed/drained
1 can water chestnuts
Big handful of cilantro, chopped
For Serving: bigger handful of dry roasted peanuts, chopped

Dressing Part:
1/2 c honey
1/2 c veg oil
1/2 c rice vinegar
2T low sodium soy sauce
2T sesame oil
2T peanut butter (I used low fat crunchy Skippy)
1T Tajin lime seasoning mix
2t hot sauce
1T chopped garlic
1T chopped ginger

Pile up the slaw stuff, keeping the peanuts separate. Mix the dressing separately in a sealable container. An hour or so before serving, drain off any liquid from the slaw. Pour most of the dressing over the slaw and mix. I reserved some in case it soaked up too much and I needed more for later. Just before serving, top with peanuts. This makes a ton and it's really good the next day ... but the peanuts don't stay crunchy. I don't mind them wet, but if you do, use the peanuts to "top" single servings only.

The original recipe calls for green onions, which I think would taste better, but I'd want a LOT of them. I just didn't have them on hand, so I used a lot of red onion instead. I'm going to use the dressing for more than this. It's really good. I also think you could get by with less veg oil. Like half. If you want to stretch it, just add more edamame or whatever you have.

See original recipe here: http://www.onceuponachef.com/2011/03/asian-slaw-with-ginger-peanut-dressing.html  

No comments: