Monday, July 16, 2012

Good News, Sort Of

Visit to the sports med doc today turned up no surprises: I have bursitis.

And in spite of my best meth addict impersonation, I didn't get the cortisone shot. "Cortisone or not, you have to do the PT. So you might as well do the PT first and see if that works," she said in her characteristic monotone. Her face muscles must not work ... she remains expressionless. Some might find it off-putting, but I kind of like it.

"Did I mention that I've already been RICEing for five weeks?" I ask. She stares back blankly.

"So if I get halfway through the six additional weeks of PT, should I call you to talk about the cortisone?" I pleadingly inquire. Her whole head remains stationary. Not a flinch.

"How often does this normally take to heal all the way? I mean, I mentioned that this has been going on for about five, maybe six or seven, weeks, right? It's very painful," I say as tears begin to puddle in my eyes. I don't even get a blink in response.

Yeah. She was having none of it.

But the good news, and there always is some, is that I am cleared to bike and swim to my heart's content.

So that's where I'm headed now. I wonder how long I'll last in this heat.

No comments: