Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hot, Fast, Cool

Tonight's Sundown Dash 5K was HOT. Boy howdy! The runners were soaking wet and some looked dangerously close to falling over.

Those lead runners were FAST. Serious runners complete a 5K in under 20 minutes!

My job as "sweeper" was COOL. I had to follow the last runners/walkers and make sure everyone made it back to the finish line safely. It meant I ended up circling around a lot, so I put more than three miles on, but surely not more than six. We only lost one walker ... she had to stop at the 1-mile mark and have someone come get her. She was disappointed, but she did the right thing by pulling over and getting some help. It's not smart to mess around with the heat.

The best news? I stood up and peddled my bike without falling over. I'm not sure how it happened. But the spirit moved me, or something. I've got to hit those sweet, relatively flat trails more often!

No comments: