Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Improvement Is Fun

During my running hiatus, I have been working up a sweat on my bike and in the pool. I've already told you that I don't love them as much as I love the running. I do, however, have to admit that there's something about "hating" the exercise that's empowering when you conquer it.

While I "hate" the pool, I love this:
The first day I jumped in to literally test the waters, I completed 500 yards in a half hour and thought I was going to die. Last week, I did 1000 yards in the same time and know in my heart I could have done more ... even if I didn't want to.

While I don't "hate" my bike, I do "hate" the time it takes to get a good workout. And I love this:
I used to have to climb the worst hill on my route in 1/1 on my gear shift ... the easiest pedaling combination with the least resistance and I spent most of my time in the 2/6 or 2/7 range. Now, I'm pulling most of my route in 3/6 and do that really tough hill in 2/3 or 2/4.

Oh, and I've taught myself to stand up and pedal. Pretty sure it doesn't look graceful, but I get it done.

Take that, non-running exercise!

P.S. To the man who was biking a quarter-mile ahead of me last night on Plymouth Church Road ... yes, I was trying to catch you. You WERE being followed. Stalked even. I wanted to beat you to the stop sign and I thought I could catch you in the two miles I followed you. I didn't catch you. But I did gain ground on you and given more distance, you would have had to eat my dust.

No comments: