Saturday, March 16, 2013

Gringo Chilaquiles

I took my mom out for fish last night. And yes, I ordered the baked fish, but I also ate two big, ol' buttery pieces of white bread. And an ice cream cone (Frostie Freeze is open, people!)

Today we were out with my in-laws for a little furniture shopping. That meant a restaurant lunch. For me, it was a Greek salad ... lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion and a smidge of salad dressing. Oh, and enormous hunks of delicious feta and a handful of soda crackers.

Tomorrow night, my husband promised to take me out for corned beef and cabbage. Which I LOVE.

So dinner tonight had to be 1) eaten at home, 2) better for me than fish fry and corned beef.

After seeing some TV cooking show, I decided to try my hand at Chilaquiles.

(If I remember my brother-in-law's narration, Chilaquiles are traditionally hangover breakfast food. I didn't have a hangover and it wasn't breakfast, so you can see the logic there.)

I'm sure this is a bastardization of some lovely Abuelita's recipe. For that I am sorry. But it was really good, so for that I am not.

Gringo Chilaquiles
Olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/4 c red bell pepper, finely chopped
1t finely chopped garlic
Squirt of Tajin sauce (if you don't have this, just a shot of lime juice might do the trick)
1-2 cups homemade enchilada sauce
1/2 to 1 cup chicken stock (I actually didn't have chicken stock, but did have one of those little packets of concentrated chicken juice flavoring things from Swanson ... so I added that and some water)
1T-2T light sour cream or non-fat Greek yogurt or light cream cheese
Leftover shredded chicken (I had turkey on hand)
1/2 can black beans
1 T chopped canned green chili or canned jalapeno
Sprinkle of low-fat shredded cheese or queso fresco
A couple of baked corn tortillas or a handful of baked tortilla chips
4 eggs, sunny side up/over easy

Run a bead of oil in a big skillet. Soften up the onion and peppers. Toss in the garlic and let it cook, but not burn. Add the Tajin, enchilada sauce, chicken stock and let it come to a boil. You want it to be a little loose, because you'll let it boil and cook out a little. Once it comes back to bubble, turn the heat back to simmer and add the dairy product of your choice. If you use cream cheese, make sure it melts. Then add your chicken, beans and chili. Heat it through.

Now get your pan ready to fry the eggs. As soon as you drop them in and they start to cook, crunch up the crispy tortilla and mix it into the saucy, Chilaquiles mix. You want the chips to soften, but not turn to mush.

If you've timed it right, the eggs are done when the chips are perfect. Toss a handful of cheese in, stirring to melt.

To serve: Put the saucy mix down first. Top with egg. The yolk will run all lovely with your first bit and the richness cuts the spice a little. It's yummy!

No comments: