Thursday, March 7, 2013

One Good Thing

Ever have one of those days?

One of those days when EVERYTHING sucks?

I had one today. I couldn't do anything right. I couldn't make anyone happy. I couldn't find the right answer. I couldn't pull the magical rabbit out of my ass. (Yes, I cried a little. But not in front of anyone.)

Then I got home.

I changed into my workout gear, headed to the basement and climbed on my bike. I pedaled for an hour.

In that hour, I did what was right for me. I made me happy. I found the right answers. And the only thing I had to pull out of my ass was my padded bike shorts.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I choose to live my life. I have a choice to be miserable or to celebrate all the good things. My professional life has been a bit challenging for the past few years and just when I think it can't get any more complicated or difficult, it always seems to do so. My out-of-work life has the same trials and tribulations as everyone else: family, finances, general fretting. There's so much beyond my control.

And the more I can't control the outer chaos, the more I need to control the one thing I can. Me.

Even on my worst days, I know I can find one good thing.

Today it was that hour of pedaling in my basement. Screw every single crappy thing that happened to me during the day. That hour is mine to do what's best for me. No one controls it but me.

That one good thing is the difference between a totally sucky day and a pretty good one.

No comments: