Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Seriously ... Baconalia?

Our long weekend in Louisville presented a bunch of firsts for my husband and me. Among them:

1. Attending the Mid-America Truck Show. Imagine it... 80,000 truckers, 900+ exhibitors and 700,000 square feet of show floor. Ranks right up there with Vegas in terms of the professional sport of people watching.
2. Visiting Churchill Downs and crying at the movie in the museum. Man, I love horses.
3. Taste-testing bourbon at the Jim Beam Distillery. I liked the one that tasted like maple syrup, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.
4. Baconalia at Denny's.

That's right. Baconalia. Who in the hell invented this?

I'll ease you into the concept. A BLT with extra bacon. A cheeseburger with extra bacon of the peppery variety. Deep fried mac and cheese bites mixed with, you guessed it, bacon.

Then we take a left turn.

Maple bacon milkshake/maple bacon sundae. Yum.

Salted caramel brownie sundae with bacon. Uh oh.

And last, but not least, the Caramel Bacon Stuffed French Toast. You heard me. Two pieces of French toast. In between, a layer of white chocolate/bacon spread. Drizzled with caramel sauce and crumbled bacon. If that wasn't enough, they give you two eggs, two slices of bacon and some syrup on the side.

That is the job I want. I want to be the guy at Denny's that says, "How freaking ridiculous can we make this?"

No one should eat this crap. It actually pisses me off that someone acts so irresponsibly and puts it out there when no one needs to ingest those empty, pointless calories.

Of course, I would eat it... IF I had the self-discipline to eat ONLY that French-toast-1200-calorie-thing for the day.

But I don't. So I skipped the whole Baconalia experience and ordered the egg white omelette. (And a short stack of pancakes to get my maple fix.)

No willpower? Stay home. It's the best way to avoid temptation.

No comments: