Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Results Are In ... Sort Of

Drumroll please.

Per my family doc and the second MRI, I have a full thickness tear in the hyaline cartilage that covers the weight bearing/inside part of my femur (thigh bone). And she says the cartilage on my tibia (big shin bone) looks "annoyed" where it articulates.

She also talked to an orthopedic surgeon who said there are a few options for treatment, but the most common is to harvest a plug of healthy cartilage from a non-weight bearing part of the joint and fill in the hole.

So now I have to go see the surgeon.

It had better happen soon, because I'm spending too much time on the internet trying to interpret the medical jargon on the MRI results and read between the lines of what my doc says. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've learned a few surgical techniques from medical journals.

Best case scenario? It's a simple arthroscopic, outpatient thing and I'm good as new in a couple of weeks.

But now that I'm practically a surgeon, if YOU need a little nip or tuck, let me know.

No comments: