Sunday, July 24, 2011

You Think You Have It Tough ...

Just got back home from a whirlwind weekend trip to see my in-laws in southern Missouri. Aside from the issue of trying to find something to do besides EAT when you're in the car for 16 hours, it was a great visit.

One of the best parts was seeing my new mother-in-law.

No, my father-in-law didn't marry again. But I bet he sort of feels like he did because my MIL is looking GREAT.

For those of you who think losing weight is tough, consider this:

My MIL is over 65. On Christmas Day 2009, she and my FIL were in a pretty bad car accident in which she shattered her ankle, messed up an already damaged hip and screwed up her thumb among other things. This led to some time in an assisted living center, lots of rehab, a wheel chair, walker and such ... a really long and painful recovery. Once the ankle and thumb/wrist were OK, it was time to get an artificial hip. She knew the hip surgery and recovery would be so much better if she lost some weight before undergoing the knife.

So she did. She chose to count calories. And it's working.

Now understand ... because of the trauma her body has been through in the past year and a half, getting a lot of physical exercise really isn't an option. She's succeeding by watching what she eats and sticking to it. In other words, she's made up her mind and is doing it. Without a treadmill. Without a gym. Without a lot of hoopla

I'm so impressed. Talk about having the odds stacked against you! (And did I mention that she has a little, skinny husband who requires strawberry ice cream in the house at all times, too?) I'm happy to report that the hip replacement was a success, and she's getting around really well ... though too slow for her taste, of course. Recoveries are just never fast enough for us, are they?
Just goes to show you that your brain is the most important muscle of all. And if you can get it set right, the rest of them will follow.

No comments: